So let me start by saying that this is HOT!!! So hot that Monkey was the only one in the house that could eat it… Chief threw in the towel after a bite, I made it quite regretfully through my serving. The heat was a little much. The flavor was amazing. Next time, I’ll be making the dish without the heat! 😀
If you’d like to make it without the sriracha, I think it would still be great. Let me know if you try! I’d love to hear your modifications! Also, I have to give credit to the awesome Mrs. Cheryl, as she sent this recipe along with most of the ingredients to make it in my July Foodie Penpal Box! It’s a free penpal program, you can follow the link and read more about it. They have it for countries outside of the US so be sure and check it out no matter where you are from! It’s super fun! 😀
- 12 oz pkg lo mein noodles
- 6 tbsp butter
- 3/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sriracha*
- Handful of Cilantro
- Sliced Green Onion
1. Cook noodles according to package directions.
2. While noodles are cooking, prepare sauce. In small bowl, stir together brown sugar, soy sauce, and sriracha.
3. In large skillet melt butter, over medium-low heat. Add red pepper to butter as it melts. Whisk an egg in a bowl and then add to the melted butter. Stir gently and cook through. Once the egg is done cooking, turn off heat.
4. When noodles are tender, drain and add them to the skillet with the cooked egg. Also add the prepared sauce. Turn the heat on low to evaporate excess moisture, and stir until everything is coated well with the sauce. Sprinkle the sliced green onion and cilantro leaves (whole) on top and serve.
*I’m putting the recipe as I made it, if you like hot then go for it! If not, I highly suggest you tone the Sriracha down.
Originally posted 2013-09-08 00:01:52.