This yummy recipe has a mild flavor and is great paired with jalapeno cornbread! The addition of a little spice makes it absolutely perfect. If you aren’t up for it, but want a little spice add a little extra cayenne pepper to yours.
Healthy Barley Stew
- 1 cup instant barley
- 4 cups water
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 3 med onions
- 2 med celery stalks
- 1 med bell pepper (any color works)
- 2 med cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 oz ground meat (we used turkey)
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced toms
- 1 tsp sat
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Rinse barley under cold water.
- In a med pot over high heat, bring barley, water and bay leaves to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook barley until tender and water is absorbed, about 20-30 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Dice onions, celery and bell pepper. Mince garlic.
- In a large pot, heat pan over medium high heat. When pan is heated, add oil.
- When oil is hot, saute onions, celery and bell pepper. Add minced garlic when veggies are almost translucent add garlic and saute an additional 1 minute.
- Add ground meat and spices then cook until browned. Drain and return to pan.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and reduce heat. Cook at a low simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cooked barley to mixture. Stir to combine. Add water or beef broth if necessary. ook over low heat to blend flavors, about 5-10 minutes more.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.
*Barley can be cooked up to two days in advance.
*If you’d like a vegan option, use pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained, in place of meat
* Could use cooked rice instead of barley