- Have an escape plan! Draw up a ‘map’ of your home and talk to your kids about how to get out if there is a fire and where to meet up.
- Check your smoke detectors on a regular basis. Have a day of the month where you go through and check them. It doesn’t take long and you’ll appreciate it!
- Make sure you have insurance! Even if you are renting there are plans to protect you family in case of a fire! No one wants to start from scratch!
- Never leave candles unattended!!!
- Get a fire extinguisher and know how to use it! If you have older children, teach them as well! The small ones are around $20. Just remember, it’s an investment!
- Be mindful of the stove/oven. Be sure not to leave anything unattended. I’m gonna be honest and say I’m guilty of this one, so now I try to find something to do when baking to keep me close by. Sometimes, I sit on the counter and read. 😀 If you can’t do that, then at the very least set some timers so that you don’t run off and forget it!
Below are some resources that may help you:
Do you have any good resources for home inventory and such???
Tips or tricks maybe????
What does your family do to be prepared???
Originally posted 2012-10-09 09:51:00.