Look, we all have to eat our veggies and what better way to eat them than hidden in a cake! LOL. My hubby mentioned that he loved carrot cake but can no longer have it due to his lactose allergy so I decided to hook him up. It’s bad enough that he breaks out so much from the stupid allergy, no need to miss out more than necessary! So, I found this recipe from some wonderful old ladies. I love that their recipes are so incredibly simple yet taste so great!
- 1 1/2 c cooking oil
- 2 c sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 c raw grated carrots (I took a shortcut and bought the carrots pre-shredded)
- 1 c chopped pecans
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- In large bowl, combine oil and sugar. Mix. Set aside.
- In another container, mix dry ingredients (except carrots & pecans!)
- Alternately mix dry ingredients and eggs into the sugar mixture.
- Mix in carrots and nuts.
- Bake at 325 for 30 minutes until done.
- I did two round cakes and served them separately. Obviously, you can do this and layer your cake or make 1 traditional sized cake.
- Rather than using traditional cream cheese icing, to ensure it is completely dairy free, I used store-bought vanilla icing. Duncan Hines creamy home-style vanilla worked best!