Sorry I’ve been MIA. My computer has been evil and refusing to allow me to do anything functional! Anyway, we are up and running for the moment!
So, I promised a dear friend I would post this a while back and kept forgetting! My Mom has made this recipe for years, and we all love it! Only problem is measurements: their ALL GUESSES!!!
So, here are my roughly thrown together ‘directions: brown 2 lbs ground meat (turkey or beef)
Add in a LOT of ketchup! Momma uses only ketchup, I add a couple of small cans of tomato paste. Your choice! Just add until it is at the juice/sloppy level you like.
Add about 1 1/2 tbsp mustard. Stir in.
Add a handful of brown sugar. Sprinkle it around and stir.
In anxious starvation, I totally forgot to take an after picture! Sorry! Just serve on bread, buns work. We use whatever we have! If it’s too sweet, add mustard. Too sour? Add brown sugar. Just add, taste, adjust until it is how you like it! Hope you like it as much as we do! Let me know any modifications you like! I’m always looking to mix things up!
Have an awesome week!!!
Other posts you may like:
Originally posted 2011-10-05 20:56:00.
This yummy recipe has a mild flavor and is great paired with jalapeno cornbread! The addition of a little spice makes it absolutely perfect. If you aren’t up for it, but want a little spice add a little extra cayenne pepper to yours.
Healthy Barley Stew
- 1 cup instant barley
- 4 cups water
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 3 med onions
- 2 med celery stalks
- 1 med bell pepper (any color works)
- 2 med cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 oz ground meat (we used turkey)
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced toms
- 1 tsp sat
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Rinse barley under cold water.
- In a med pot over high heat, bring barley, water and bay leaves to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook barley until tender and water is absorbed, about 20-30 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Dice onions, celery and bell pepper. Mince garlic.
- In a large pot, heat pan over medium high heat. When pan is heated, add oil.
- When oil is hot, saute onions, celery and bell pepper. Add minced garlic when veggies are almost translucent add garlic and saute an additional 1 minute.
- Add ground meat and spices then cook until browned. Drain and return to pan.
- Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and reduce heat. Cook at a low simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cooked barley to mixture. Stir to combine. Add water or beef broth if necessary. ook over low heat to blend flavors, about 5-10 minutes more.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.
*Barley can be cooked up to two days in advance.
*If you’d like a vegan option, use pinto or black beans, rinsed and drained, in place of meat
* Could use cooked rice instead of barley
I’d love to hear your thoughts and modifications!
Please leave them in the comment section.