MAKES ABOUT 1 LB (500 G) OF COOKIES
• Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
• Nonstick baking sheets
• Food processor
• Rolling pin
• Pizza cutter
4 cups whole wheat flour 1 L
1⁄2 cup cornmeal 125 mL
1 tsp ground cinnamon 5 mL
1 cup chopped carrot 250 mL
1⁄2 cup water 125 mL
2 tbsp canola oil 25 mL
2 tbsp liquid honey 25 mL
1 large egg 1
1 tsp vanilla 5 mL
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and cinnamon. In a food processor, combine carrot, water, oil, honey,
egg and vanilla. Puree until smooth. Pour over dry ingredients and stir until well incorporated.
2. In the bowl and using hands, knead until dough holds together. Transfer to lightly floured surface. Using a rolling
pin, roll out dough to about 1⁄8-inch (3 mm) thickness. With a fork, poke holes all over the surface of the dough. Using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife, cut dough into bitesize rectangles or squares.
3. Place about 1⁄2 inch (1 cm) apart on baking sheets.
4. Bake in preheated oven, in batches if necessary, for 20 minutes or until firm. Place pans on racks and let cool
completely. Reduce oven temperature to 300°F (150°C). Bake for 30 minutes longer or until hard. Transfer
cookies to a rack and let cool completely. Store in a tightly sealed container for up to 30 days.
Excerpted from Better Food for Dogs by David Bastin, Jennifer Ashton and Dr. Grant Nixon, D.V.M. © 2002 Robert Rose Inc. www.robertrose.ca All rights reserved: May not be reprinted without publisher permission.