Having a service dog is absolutely awesome for those who depend on them. Duke the service Dane, for example, helps me to be able to walk, catches me when I fall, and as quickly there when I need him. Although he can be a pain in the butt sometimes, I am so thankful that I have him.
He is a bit spoiled and mischievous but he makes me smile and stays by my side.
The downside to having a service dog, is that everywhere you go people want to ask to pet the dog. Service dogs are not to be petted when they’re working boom from their person and their training.
With my particular condition, at times, the constant asking actually makes things worse and to be honest, it gets old having to be the bad guy every time someone asks you the adorable dog.
It’s not that we don’t want you to pet are dogs but they are working they need to focus and imagine if every time you try to go somewhere one asked you if they could feel your coat. How quickly that could be annoying?
Most people aren’t trying to be rude, many honestly don’t know the etiquette required around a service animal.
1. A Service Dog is not treated as a pet when they are working.
2. A Service Dog has been trained specifically for the needs of their person. (By law)
3. There is a difference between Service Animals, Therapy Animals and emotional support animals.Â Both in training and what/where they are allowed to be.
4. The American Disabilities Act businesses to ask two questions of those with service animals.
- Â is the dog a service animal required because of a disability?
- what work or task has the dog been trained to perform?
5. I want to explain our disabilities on most days therefore asking what are dog is trained for brings that up. We are not defined by our disability and many of us try very hard not to let it be the focus of our days.
6. With some people, engaging them (especially their dog), can aggravate the issues of their disorder. I have learned, over time, it’s nice to be ignored. If I don’t respond, I feel like I’m being rude. If I do, I end up having my symptoms increase so much I often am unable to finish my errands.
7. Service dogs come in many breeds, which means sizes and colors as well! It’s all about the training and what they can do.
8. Untrained ‘service dogs’ are becoming a nuisance, especially for those of us who actually need our dogs. They make the rest of us look bad. Not to mention the fact that they make the rest of us look bad. We don’t appreciate them anymore than you do!
9. Not all breeds will work for all disabilities and issues. In example, I’m 6 feet tall and weigh…Â well… a bit more than I should. A shorter or smaller dog would not be able to help me with my mobility issues. So, if you see me out with my Great Dane, or anyone else, keep that in mind!
10. I can’t speak for others, but I can say that at this point I’ve heard every joke in the book. Please keep them to yourself. In example: my dane is not a horse, I do not feed him miracle grow, and just because he’s giant does not mean he’s going to eat you.
These are just a few things my head that I thought I would share with you today. I’ve written in the past about my health issues and I’m obviously comfortable what discussing them on this forum. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them and I hope that this I’ll help you a little bit and what service animals are coming from.
I am fully aware that these days people have a tendency to put a vest on their dog take them everywhere claiming the necessity is there. While there may be some that do that, not all of us who take our dog places I taking them god of love to our fur babies. I myself have encountered because of those few people that do that.
In the bigger picture is actually more harmful then helpful to the greater good of society as it makes those of us whose livelihood on our animal that much more difficult.
Just wanted to add a quick review, Tator got these toys for free in order for me to review them. Â We love the ball especially because it seems to be a little tougher than tennis balls. Â That’s important when the big dog steals your toys! Â LOL. Â You can get yours in the link so enjoy!
Originally posted 2017-08-10 14:54:08.