Hand Sewing Magic is a great resource for anyone who wants to learn or know more about hand stitching.
There’s something soothing about sewing by hand. For me, it’s like everything else melts away for a while. It’s just me, my fabric and thread. No troubles, no worries, no screaming children. haha.
About the Book
Hand Sewing Magic was written by Lyn Krawczyk and published through Quarry Publishing. It’s cover quickly informs you that you’ll learn 10 easy, creative projects, master tension and other techniques all with pro tips, tricks and troubleshooting. The book is fittingly described as:
An Essential Reference: Featuring How-Tos for Dozens of Stitches, from Basics for Sewing and Mending to Stunning Embroidered Embellishment
- The Hand Stitcher’s Toolkit: You can guess what’s in here. Information regarding supplies, your essential toolbox, pattern transfer tools, tension, troubleshooting and –I loved this one– Stitcher Self Care.
- Utilitarian Stitches- This section contains instructions and variations for running stitch, x stitch, buttonhole stitch, chain stitch, and whipstitch along with three projects that you can utilize these awesome stitches on!
- Outline and Filler Stitches: This one contains instructions and variations for Satin stitch, Bosnian Stitch, Burden Stitch, Eyelet Stitch, Stem Stitch, Split Backstitch, Cable Stitch, Zigzag Stitch, Ermine Stitch, Ladder Stitch, Fishbone Stitch and Wave Stitch along with two more projects that you can utilize your new skills to make!
- Decorative Stitches: Includes instructions and variations for chevron stitch, herringbone stitch, fern stitch, Japanese darning stitch, needle weaving, cretan stitch, and Eskimo laced edging. And, of course, three new projects to try out with your new stitches!
- Dimensional Stitches: Includes instructions and variations for Woven Picot Stitch, sheaf stitch, whipped stitch, loop stitch, couched stitch, padded satin stitch, cast-on stitch, rice stitch, colonial knot, cullion knot, oyster stitch, and turkey rug knot. Along with two fabulous projects to utilize some of your new skill!
I’m absolutely enjoying this book! I’ve been sewing since I was a little girl yet I’ve learned so much! The tips have been fantastic and I’m using them almost every time I sew now! The projects are delightfully Bohemian Chic which so very much in style these days! I’m planning on doing some of the crafts in the book as gifts for Christmas, especially for my teenage nieces! They’re going to love them!
The book provides detailed instructions with great photographs to teach us in an easy to understand way. That’s certainly appreciated!
Do you have any tips to share with us?
The Spooktacular Giveaway Hop is perfect for getting this fall started! We’ve got a prize to keep you busy when it’s too cold or rainy to go out! It’s also a wonderful way to learn to make new Christmas Gifts!
Let’s start out by saying thank you to Chatty Patty’s Place and Review Wire Media!
These things are not easy to put together and take so much work! They definitely deserve love for these awesome events!