It can be a real challenge to clean stove grates. I’m often tempted to just buy new ones, but I’m too much of an environment freak and way too cheap! This is super simple, just takes a little time!
Aah, spring cleaning! Getting that Spring Cleaning itch is such a great feeling! The one time of year where we actually WANT to clean house! It’s interesting how we sort of nest this time of year, makes me wonder if it’s some primal instinct.
With this secret little trick, you don’t spend money on new grates OR have nasty ones! Win Win!
Regardless, I read about this somewhere and thought I would share my instructions. Has the bug hit you yet???
Clean Stove Grates
Here’s the Easy Way
- Take down your grates and find a pan they will fit in. Some people used pots, but mine wouldn’t work in that so I used a really large cake pan.
- Add water to the pan enough so that it will cover the grates
- Heat the water to boiling, a good rolling boil.
- Using tongs or something so you won’t touch anything, dip the grates into the water and hold it down. You’ll see the grease come floating off! It’s gross but kind of cool lookin’. LOL
- Remove grate, dispose of water (NOT DOWN THE DRAIN!!!)
- Do the other side and repeat if you think it needs it.
See some of our other home life cheats and such here
! You’ll find lots to love!
I’d be ever so grateful if you share your cleaning tricks and cheats!
I’m all about working smarter not harder!