Old Fashion Doughnut Recipe & Bread Machine Doughnut Recipe
Chief Zoo Keeper loves Old Fashion Doughnuts, so for his birthday I decided to make some for him. We don’t eat unhealthy food very often, so it’s a special treat in our world. He greatly enjoyed them and had a really good birthday!
Old Fashion Doughnuts
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup milk
4 cups flour (plus a little more if dough is sticky)
oil (for frying)
2. Add eggs, milk and melted butter. Beat well.
3. Add 3 cups of the flour, beating until blended. Add one more cup of flour and beat well. The dough should be soft and sticky but firm enough to handle. If you feel its necessary, add up to 1/2 cup more flour.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for *at* *least* one hour.
5. Remove your dough from the fridge and begin heating about 1″ of oil to 360F in a large metal skillet.
6. Working half the dough at a time, roll it out on a floured surface to about 1/2″ thickness. Cut out circles using a doughnut cutter or large biscuit or cookie cutter. For the center, I actually use the lid of a spice bottle to cut the holes.
7. Gently drop the doughnuts in batches into the hot oil. You’ll want the temp at 350 so that they cook through but don’t burn. Flip them over as they puff and turn them a couple more times as they cook. They will take about 2-3 minutes in total and will be lovely and golden brown all over. We used our wok to fry in, as it has a good bit of space for the oil and leaves room for flipping! Note: don not use a non-stick anything to fry in!
8. Remove from the oil and set them on paper towels or brown paper bag (that removes all the fat, you know)
[amazon_link asins=’B00HPLO0R6,B00GO2WKG0,B01N9ARAFK,1681881349,1540318265′ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’myc084-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’3732c40b-6211-11e8-a3ca-ab03f081e825′]
Bread Machine Doughnuts
12 thoughts on “Old Fashion Doughnut Recipe & Bread Machine Doughnut Recipe”
these look yummy. Would love to try this method looks doable
These look really good. I need to give this recipe a try!
Will have to try this it looks good
These sound and look so yummy! I am going to have to try and make them. I love donuts!
These look so delicious! Thanks for sharing!
I’ve never tried making homemade doughnuts, but I’d really like to give it a try. These do look good.
These look so amazing, thanks so much for sharing.
Wow! I’ve never made my own doughnuts. These look yummy and easy to make.
This sounds so good. Nothing like donuts made from our own kitchen. Thank you for sharing
Call me old school…I prefer just “school” actually…but I love me some old fashioned donuts!
This doughnut recipe sounds delicious. I’ve wanted to try making doughnuts but haven’t yet.
I have never made homemade doughnuts but with this recipe I am going to give it a try. They look awesome!