Potato Soup with Tomatoes: An Old Simple Recipe to Warm the Heart
Potato Soup with Tomatoes is absolutely fabulous! It’s a fantastic recipe to use up those last potatoes and it will definitely warm you up on a cold night! I absolutely adore a hot soup on a cold night, especially if I can curl up with a warm blanket while I enjoy it!
We have a ton of other recipes on our recipe page and hope you’ll find the perfect dessert to finish off the meal after you enjoy our potato soup with tomatoes!
Dairy Free, If You Please
This Potato Soup With Tomatoes can be made Dairy or Lactose Free by switching out the type of ‘milk’ you use. We used lactose free and it was fabulous. However, a completely dairy free milk would work just as well.
The trick is to make sure you don’t use one that is vanilla flavored! A vanilla flavored milk/silk would absolutely ruin this and probably any savory dish for sure!
About this Potato Soup With Tomatoes Recipe
This is not my recipe originally, though I did make some changes to it. It was originally published in a church recipe book by All Saints Episcopal Church in Russellville, Arkansas in 1998. I think I purchased this book from a lady who owned a store in Christie, Oklahoma. It was known as, or called I guess, Opal’s Store.
Opal’s Store was ran by Opal Doyle and her husband. It had one gas pump with a manual counter inside it. The store was small, never sold alcohol or cigarettes. She did have a deli counter and her sandwiches were the best! I frequented her store in the summers and would get a roast beef sandwich and a bottled IBC Root Beer for $1.50. Her sandwiches were, arguably, the best. Subway has nothing on her food! All fresh ingredients, and often stuff from her own garden!
She was a very loving, Christian woman. Definitely traditional. She was known to be a gossip but for her it was just talking I suppose. Who knows, what I do know is that she was loved dearly. I’ve written about her grand-daughter, who was killed by a drunk driver. Andrea Beth Doyle. A very dear friend and still missed to this day. I hope that she is in heaven cuddling my baby!
Anyway, the recipe itself was submitted by a lady named Carolyn M. (I won’t be publishing her full name) I love recipes like this, handed down through families. They are the best!
Potato Soup with Tomatoes Recipe
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 1/4 cup butter (or margarine for dairy free)
- 2 cups sliced potatoes
- 6 cups boiling water
- 1- 16 oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp smoked paprika (regular will work if you prefer)
- 1 cup milk or light cream (dairy free milk is fine, just don’t use one flavored like vanilla!)
Stove Top Directions:
- Melt butter in pot and saute the onions until translucent. (We used a dutch oven, but any pot with a lid will work)
- Add potatoes and water. Boil for about half an hour.
- Add in seasonings and tomatoes.
- Simmer covered for about 20 minutes.
- Lower heat, stir in milk until heated. Don’t let it get warm enough to simmer!
- Once heated, which is almost immediately, let it rest 10-15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Instant Pot Directions:
- Using the saute function, melt butter and saute onions until translucent.
- Add in 6 cups water (does not have to be boiling) and potatoes. Put lid on, close valve and set soup function to 10 minutes.
- Release valve, remove lid and stir in tomatoes and seasonings. Set the Soup setting for 2 minutes.
- Release valve, add in milk and stir.
- If you’d like, you can leave the instant pot on warm at this point so that it doesn’t get cold.
I added cooked chicken to the leftovers when we made it because I’m a super carnivore. haha. It went really well! I you decide to add some to yours, add it with the tomatoes so that it gets hot and soaks up some of the flavor of the soup! This is a great way to use up leftover chicken!
8 thoughts on “Potato Soup with Tomatoes: An Old Simple Recipe to Warm the Heart”
I am always a big fan of soup and potatoes with tomatoes go pretty well! Thanks for sharing it with us this week #OMHGWW ..Cheers
Pingback: WORDLESS WEDNESDAY, January 19, 2022 - Clearissa Coward's Command Center
Pingback: Linky Party: Jan 19-24- Crafts, Recipes Creativity! – Lifestyle Trend Reports
Pingback: Linky Party: Jan 19-24- Crafts, Recipes Creativity! ⋆ My Crafty Zoo
This looks so good. I’ve never put tomatoes in potato soup, but I love them both, so why not? I’ll have to try this. Pinning. If you get a chance, come by & share on my link parties at LifeasaLEOWife.com. Happiness is Homemade is open from Sundays thru Thursdays (I think you share there sometimes) and I have a brand new party, Crafty Creators, open Thursdays thru Mondays. Hope to see you there!
This recipe was a first for me as well but I was super impressed with how it turned out! I loved that the tomatoes gave it more nutrition value for sure. Potato soup is delicious, but it doesn’t do well for me with all the carbs. The tomatoes were just enough for me to use as an excuse. haha. Will definitely come by and visit!
Pingback: Wonderful Wednesday - Oh My Heartsie Girl
Pingback: Potato Soup with Tomatoes: An Old Simple Recipe to Warm the Heart – Lifestyle Trend Reports