Chicken Tortilla Soup: Warms You Up!
Chicken Tortilla Soup is absolutely delicious and perfect for a cold night! It warmed us up and was super filling!
It’s been chilly lately and I decided to try out Chicken Tortilla Soup. Chief Zookeeper loves it, but I’d never made it so I was a little nervous! Turns out, it was unnecessary! This recipe was simple and crazy good!
I was extremely pleased that it took longer to cook than prepare! Simmering for long periods is cool, however having to do a ton of preparation is not a favorite activity! This one has inspired the desire to make more soups (okay, time out, that’s kinda fun to say. Read it aloud. Hope it makes you laugh!).
My Favorite Recipe for Tortilla Soup
We added cheese and tortilla chips on top of our bowls if you’d like a little extra! If you have chicken breasts (or any other raw chicken) on hand, you can easily boil it then shred or use leftover chicken! It took less than 15 minutes to boil chicken breasts to shred. If you do it, definitely save the water just in case you need extra for the soup!
This recipe will feed 2-4 people!
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 14 oz can of stewed tomatoes
- Lg onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ c shredded chicken
- 4 c chicken stock
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp lemon pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 5 corn tortillas, set aside
- Combine chiles, tomatoes, onions, garlic in dutch oven (or soup pot with lid) Cook over medium heat 5-10 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients (except tortillas of course). Cover and simmer for 1 hour. If the liquid gets low, add water. Otherwise it will resemble a stew rather than soup.
- Saute tortillas to slightly crisp. Cut into strips. Drop into soup and heat on low. Don’t boil! For an additional 10-20 minutes
Check out Our Other Soup Recipes too!
7 thoughts on “Chicken Tortilla Soup: Warms You Up!”
Yummy ~ your Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe sounds delicious. Ironic, I just cooked a chicken Mexican casserole tonight. Thanks for hosting Wonderful Wednesday. I followed you on Twitter. If you’re interested, I shared a winter craft project #46. 🙂
I just LOVE Mexican casserole! Unfortunately hubby can’t have dairy so I haven’t had it in forever! Hope it was yummy!
I love tortilla soup, it definitely does warm you up! This recipe sounds really good and I love that it doesn’t take that much time. Thank you so much for sharing!
I hope you enjoy it! I love it!
This sounds like a great soup for winter. Thanks for the recipe!
You are absolutely welcome! Enjoy!
That looks and sounds really delicious. This is definitely soup weather, too.