Chicken Tortilla Soup is absolutely delicious and perfect for a cold night! It warmed us up and was super filling!
It’s been chilly lately and I decided to try out Chicken Tortilla Soup. Chief Zookeeper loves it, but I’d never made it so I was a little nervous! Turns out, it was unnecessary! This recipe was simple and crazy good!
I was extremely pleased that it took longer to cook than prepare! Simmering for long periods is cool, however having to do a ton of preparation is not a favorite activity! This one has inspired the desire to make more soups (okay, time out, that’s kinda fun to say. Read it aloud. Hope it makes you laugh!).
Chicken Tortilla Soup
We added cheese and tortilla chips on top of our bowls if you’d like a little extra! If you have chicken breasts (or any other raw chicken) on hand, you can easily boil it then shred or use leftover chicken! It took less than 15 minutes to boil chicken breasts to shred. If you do it, definitely save the water just in case you need extra for the soup!
This recipe will feed 2-4 people!
- 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 14 oz can of stewed tomatoes
- Lg onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ c shredded chicken
- 4 c chicken stock
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp lemon pepper
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 5 corn tortillas, set aside
- Combine chiles, tomatoes, onions, garlic in dutch oven (or soup pot with lid) Cook over medium heat 5-10 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients (except tortillas of course). Cover and simmer for 1 hour. If the liquid gets low, add water. Otherwise it will resemble a stew rather than soup.
- Saute tortillas to slightly crisp. Cut into strips. Drop into soup and heat on low. Don’t boil! For an additional 10-20 minutes
Products from Amazon.com
- Price: $26.54Was: $34.99
- Price: $23.24Was: $27.89
- Price: $16.54Was: $18.70
- Price: $29.97Was: $49.99
- Price: $28.99Was: $39.99