One Skillet Meal: Healthy Sizzling Chicken and Avocados
Who doesn’t love a one skillet meal? One dish to wash is definitely my favorite way to cook anything! Of course, we typically have Spanish rice with our Chicken and Avocado Skillet, but that’s because we are food crazy. Haha! This one skillet meal is totally diet friendly as well! Pretty sure, with slight moderation, it can be Paleo and Keto friendly.
If you are inspired to do a full Spanish style meal, we have a recipe for homemade Tamarindo on our recipe page.
It is essential in this particular one skillet meal that you use a cast iron skillet or at least one that can go in the oven. I typically use cast iron as they are so very easy to clean! However, if you don’t have one you could use a dutch oven or another skillet that has no plastic or rubber.
Chicken & Avocado One Skillet Meal
Note: I’m having issues with pins and am attempting to fix it. If you would like to pin this and the image won’t work, please re-pin the story pin for this recipe here.
- 2 boneless, skinless pieces of chicken sliced in half (so they are thin, not short)
- olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 2 ripe avocados (small fits better)
- 1/4 tsp sugar (can use replacement sugars if necessary for your diet)
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- 4 green onions, trimmed
- 1 poblano pepper, sliced (if you absolutely must, you can use green bell pepper but the flavor isn’t the same)
- 3 Tbsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup sour cream (if doing paleo or keto, eliminate this part!)
- 2-3 tbsp water
- 4 lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until pan is hot but not smoking. Add 1 tbsp olive oil and use rubber brush to coat skillet with it.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and chili powder on both sides.
- Add chicken to pan and cook four minutes.
- Flip and cook an additional one minute. Remove the chicken from the hot pan and set aside. (Chicken will not be fully cooked)
- While the pain is still hot, wipe pan with a paper towel. Coat with oil again. Increase heat to high.
- Cut avocados in half and remove the pits then sprinkle sugar on the exposed avocado flesh. Add to pan, flesh side down, and cook 2 minutes or until the avocados are charred.
- Remove from pan and re-coat pan with oil again. Add onions to pan and cook 3 minutes until they are also charred. It’s best to not stir the onions until they are charred, then simply flip them to get a char on the other side.Remove onions from pan.
- Add green onions and poblano peppers. Cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Separate the red onions into rings then toss in with the peppers and green onions. Stir in lime juice and soy sauce.
- Nestle chicken and avocados in the veggies.
- Bake at 450 for 7 minutes (or until chicken is done)
- Remove pan from oven.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream and water and mix until it has a saucy consistency.
- Drizzle over chicken and avocados.
- Garnish with cilantro and lime.
For dessert, try some fried apples with a little ice cream (if you please!). Of course, if you made the Tamarindo, you may not want any dessert at all!
I’d love to hear your thoughts!
What did you serve with it? Any modifications?
3 thoughts on “One Skillet Meal: Healthy Sizzling Chicken and Avocados”
Kaycee this food looks super delicious indeed! I would love to try them at home. I have never tried grilling the avocado before! Thanks for the inspiration and cheers from #OMHGWW.. happy to have you as the co-host
This looks delicious. I love one-dish meals. Thanks for sharing with and co-hosting at #omhgww.
Lots of great flavors in this dish. Have never tried cooking avocados that way.