Cajun Chicken Gumbo is a Louisiana staple, of course it’s shortened to simply ‘Gumbo‘! If you’ve never had it, I highly recommend you try it. Now!
With a Louisiana husband, this Oklahoma girl has learned to love some Cajun cookin’! While I’ve not yet completely conquered Louisiana cooking, this dish is the closest I’ve come thus far!
Don’t be intimidated, if I can do it so can you! Since there isn’t a roux in this dish, it’s not challenging at all! Anyone who can follow directions can make this dish! Promise!
Now, I will say, this dish is missing shrimp. Gumbo very often has shrimp, but unfortunately allergies have developed. If you love shrimp, I greatly suggest adding them in! You won’t be sorry!
If you’d like to be being as healthy as possible, check out the Paleo Recipe modification at the bottom or go without the rice if you’d like. Or, if you aren’t big on rice, you can enjoy this dish without any rice at all.
Cajun Chicken Gumbo
- 2 Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless
- 4 TBSP Cajun Seasoning
- 1 med white or yellow onion
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 1 Bag Spinach
- 1-2 zucchinis, diced
- 3 TBSP minced garlic (or 2 cloves)
- 4 c chicken stock
- 12 oz kalbeissa sausage, diced & quartered
- 1/2 TBSP Cajun File
- 1/2 TBSP Cajun Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp red pepper
- 1 c cooked rice
- Season chicken breasts with Cajun Seasoning, brown on both sides. Dice and set aside
- Saute onion, celery, and zucchini until almost cooked.
- Add sausage, brown.
- Add in spinach and garlic, saute until cooked.
- Add chicken, broth, and additional seasoning into dish. Simmer 20-30 minutes.
Tips & Tricks
Add in desired amount of peeled shrimp when you add the sausage. Brown.
If you’d like, cook plain cauliflower rice to go with it, though honestly it is even great without rice (don’t tell any LA natives I said that please!) Put the cauliflower rice in the bottom of the bowl, then add the Cajun Chicken Gumbo on top.
Originally posted 2019-03-31 20:30:03.