Coneys are an awesome way to take hot dogs to a whole new level! I hope you enjoy this as much as I do and I look forward to hearing all about your experiences with it! Enjoy!
When I was a kid, my Mom and step-dad took me to this place in Tulsa, OK called Coney Island. It wasn’t an island, just a fast food joint, but it seemed magical. A place where they MADE chili dogs right in front of you! It was on special occasions that we went, like when I begged enough. LOL.
I’m sure you probably realize there is an actual place more known than this silly little place in Tulsa, I had no idea until years later! haha. Ahh, to be a child again!
Anyway, this is the closest I’ve come to re-living it at home. Just remember, the hot sauce you use makes a huge difference in the flavor. We tried it with green hot sauce and I wasn’t a fan. Chief Zoo Keeper liked it, I didn’t. Let me know if you find a fabulous variation!
- 1/2 c finely chopped (or even minced) white onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp worcestishire sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 c ketchup
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp chili powder
- Saute onion and garlic.
- Add ground beef, brown, drain. (You can also use ground turkey!)
- Combine other ingredients in a bowl, mix well, then add to ground beef mixture.
- Stir, heat, simmer, for 1 hour. If it begins to dry out, add water and scrape the bottom of the pan. Continue simmering for the entire hour. Gets the flavor in so well!
- Enjoy with your favorite franks and sides!
[amazon_link asins=’0300189907,B073VCSKNF,B07CNCBN9W,B004E231VK,B000MX92P4,B00362MKUC’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’myc084-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’1061e9d2-5978-11e8-b2c0-ad47357d21f8′]