Chocolate cake is awesome and this recipe is out of this world. Not only is it delicious, it’s almost impossible to mess it up! Don’t buy a box mix, you can do this!
Chief Zoo Keeper doesn’t like chocolate (Pound Cake is his favorite cake), so I don’t get to make a whole lot. Brownies about covers the extent to which he likes baked chocolate, aside from chocolate chip cookies. The other day, after a particularly challenging event, I decided enough was enough! So, I made chocolate cake!!! It was so great!!!
So much so, that even Chief Doesn’t-Like-Chocolate liked it!!! I was vindicated! AND now I have a recipe the Chief won’t complain about!!! YAY!
Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch cake pans.
- Use the first set of ingredients to make the cake.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 3 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Stir in the boiling water by hand. Pour evenly into the two prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool completely.
Note: This is not my original recipe. I found the recipe at allrecipes.com here. Super yummy!
National Chocolate Cake Day!
National Chocolate Cake became a part of the culture more and more throughout the late 1900’s and early twenty first centuries. I was created so that chocolate and cake lovers could celebrate it’s existence.
Did you know: In the 1830’s-1840’s, chocolate was typically consumed as an unsweetened, bitter drink mixed with water.
You can read more about National Chocolate Cake Day here!
‘Weird’ pairings with chocolate:
First off, weird was used in quotation marks on purpose. If you like it, it can’t be that weird! Personally, while ice cream or a glass of cold milk are always a welcomed addition, I love eating sharp cheddar cheese with chocolate! On more than one occasion, I’ve been ‘caught’ putting my homemade chocolate syrup on a thick piece of cheese. Oh, so yummy!
I stumbled across an infographic on Trendsetters that had a list of —- and thought I’d share some of them. Honestly, it really just gave me ideas to try with my chocolate!
- Pretzels (never would have thought of this one!)
- Spices and herbs
- Potato Chips (I’m crazy about Peanut M&Ms and Cool Ranch Doritos!)
- Meat and seafood
What do you love to pair with chocolate cake or chocolate in general?
Any tips you’d like to share?