We’re wearing face masks almost everywhere these days, (thanks Covid) so of course companies making custom masks are springing up as well! We’ve recently tried out Mask Market and are ready to share our thoughts for your discernment.
Mask Market is a company that allows you to design your own PPE mask or they have per-designed face masks as well. We’ll talk more about them below, first I want to get to the important things.
What is a PPE mask?
PPE = Personal Protective Equipment
What do they Protect Us From?
PPE masks, when properly fitted, protect us from many air and water particulates that float through the air. Normally, those particulates aren’t a problem but right now they can, as we’ve all learned, be deadly. Neither age nor health is a true shield with this particular virus, therefore it is much better to be safe, as the old saying goes, than sorry.
Preparing Children To Wear Face Masks
In many places, school is going to open up with regular or modified classes. Some states are already requiring masks for nearly everyone. At the end of the day, we all want this to be over and doing our part will, prayerfully, get us that much closer.
- Our children are adaptable, far more than we are, but they do need us to lead by example. It will both help and encourage them to get in the habit of wearing them if they don’t hear us complaining. Instead, we can lead them in the right direction by wearing our masks and making sure they hear us talk about the importance of doing so. Seeing us properly wear our masks will help them learn to do it as well. Simple, but effective!
- Teach them why they are wearing the masks. Children are both happy to help and to teach others when they learn something new. There is nothing as entertaining as having a 4 year old explain things. They love to learn, so let’s teach them!
- If possible, find masks that go with your child’s tastes and personality. This will encourage them, even excite them, to wear their favorite new mask. I love the idea of making masks that look similar to their favorite super hero masks! You can also get them with their favorite characters, or make them using cloth with those characters on them. Allowing them to choose their favorites will also lessen their resistance to wearing them.
- Practice wearing masks during play at home. For smaller children, it may also be helpful if they have one to put on their favorite doll or stuffed animal. They can teach their dolls how to wear a mask, not to touch their face and so forth which will help them to remember the same.
- Start by wearing the mask for a set amount of time, then take it off a while and repeat. Eventually, they will get so use to it that they forget they are wearing it and don’t mind at all.
- Remember, the face mask mandates and recommendations are not exclusively referring to traditional masks. They simply need to have their nose and mouth covered so that air particulates can’t be inhaled so easily. Face masks that many wear when hunting would be fine, as they cover the nose and mouth, then go down to the neck so that air can’t come in so easily. I’m sure there are patterns out there so that they could be made with more breathable material in the summer heat. Scarves would be adequate as well.
- Make sure that the mask fits properly and is a comfortable fit. Otherwise, it isn’t going to stay on at all.
- Make a game of it. Have a child with a wild imagination? Perhaps mask wearing is a game so spies can’t see their mouth to identify them or maybe the masks are a disguise, or perhaps they provide super powers! They will run with it, you just have to start the game!
Mask Market is a US company located in Michigan, where their masks are also made. One thing I do love is that they donate 1 mask for every mask they sell. If you’ve seen my love for Mission Belt, you know companies that give back is a love of mine! I also love companies here in the good ole USA!
~ Website ~
Mask Market face masks are adjustable so that you can make sure that it fits properly. The material is notably thin, but they come with a filter to put in the middle intended to filter the air.
Custom Designed Mask Made with our Baby’s CardioGram, modeled by her God-Mother –>
5 Layer Filters:
Each mask comes with 1 filter and you can buy extras in quantities of three. The filters are sandwiched on both sides by an anti-stick cloth with 1 layer each of a filter cloth, activated carbon and a high efficiency filter cloth.
I will be honest and say I wasn’t certain that was a word initially. Turns out, it is. Yay me! haha. Anyway, I had made a lot of masks with 4 layers of 100% cotton for my friend who is a nurse at a local nursing home. They are thick and hot, but that is what the facility required.
The Mask Market masks are much easier to breathe in and a lot less hot. I think they would be much more comfortable for children or adults who may have breathing issues. I wore mine during a workout and could breathe just fine. (Note: I did not do cardio but I am vastly out of shape)
<-In this image, I have the mask on backwards so that you can see the filter coverage
Custom Face Masks
Initially, I made an image that was large so that it could be scaled down when I made the custom mask. The first order came and the images were off. I contacted the company and received no response. I contacted the media relations department, and was able to get the masks properly made. The second printing was not as bright but the image was centered properly and I was much happier with it.