Every now and then, we throw healthy out the door! 😀 We decided to do just that recently and I thought I would encourage you to do so as well! **little monkey on your shoulder says you should try it!** We figured, why not live it up every now and then! So, here is a great recipe for you to try out to shut that little monkey up! 😀
If you’ve never eaten chicken and waffles, this probably sounds crazy, but stack the chicken on a waffle then cover with your favorite syrup! Maple syrup is great on top! You can use whatever you like though!
To ensure little to no nutritional value was present, we had onion rings and potato wedges with it! MMMmmmm!!!!!
Chicken and Waffles
- 2 tbsp lemon pepper, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- (can use eggs if you don’t have it, but it’s better with buttermilk!)
- 4 chicken thighs (I take off the skin!)
- oil for frying
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 c corn starch
- Pepper, to taste
1. Combine 1 tbsp lemon pepper with buttermilk. Whisk and set aside.
2. Heat oil to 375 degrees and oven to 350 degrees
3. In separate bowel, combine flour, 1 tbsp lemon pepper, pepper and cornstarch.
4. Dip chicken in flour, then buttermilk, then flour again
5. I recommend sitting it on a wire rack to help the mixture set into the chicken for a few minutes.
6. Fry on each side for 8 minutes
7. Roast in the oven for 5-7 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
**As I’m sure you can see, I used boneless chicken this time,
doesn’t need as much time if you do it this way!**
- 1 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 3 tbsp butter, or nonstick spray
1. Mix dry ingredients in one bowel and wet in another.
2. Pour wet into dry while stirring.
3. Use waffle iron as directed!
****Chief Zoo Keeper doesn’t like these waffles,
the rest of the Zoo does. You can use this and
try it or just use your favorite waffle recipe!
I’m sure pancakes would work fine too if
you don’t have a waffle iron! Enjoy!!!****
Hope you’ll give in to the loud little monkey on your shoulder and give it a try!
Let me know what you think and if you have any tips,
by all means share!!! I’ll make some of them part of the
Chick it Out comment section!