Crab Rangoon (Baked,DF, & Lowfat) is one of our favorite treats but it is so unhealthy! We’ve set out and found a way to make it somewhat healthier!
We absolutely love Crab Rangoon around here! So much so that when we go get take out from one place, we go to another just to get it! It’s serious around here!
Due to Chief ZooKeeper’s lactose allergy (yes, I said that correctly), we don’t get to have it often. Obviously, since it’s full of cream cheese!
So, being the absolutely amazing ZooKeeper wife that I am, I decided to make some on my own. Figured while I was at it, I may as well make it even more healthier by not deep frying it.
Now, you must realize going into this one that since it’s not fried, it’s not crisp like traditional Crab Rangoon. It’s still delicious, just not as crispy.
I tried a couple of different folding methods as I wanted to see which we liked best. Be sure and try out some different folds and pick your own favorite.
- 8 oz Imitation Crab Meat
- 1 Package Cream Cheese (Add a pinch of sugar if using dairy free)
- 1 Garlic Clove, minced
- ¼ tsp Worcestershire Sauce (We LOVE Lea & Perrins!)
- 12 + Wanton Skins (depends on how much you stuff them)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp Green Onion, minced
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- Chop crab meat into small pieces.
- Mix cream cheese, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and crab meat.
- Add about 1 tsp filling per wrapper into the center of the wrapper.
- Brush edges with egg and pinch corners together, make sure there is NO air inside the pocket!
- Spray edges with non-stick spray (if you’d like) to help them brown some.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
Folding Tips We tried a couple as you can see in the photos. I personally liked the 'envelope' style while Chief ZooKeeper preferred the more traditional fold. I've also seen them done where the top is open, similar to a bowl. No idea how they get them to stand! I'd love to hear your thoughts and such! Please remember to come back and share after you pin us! (hint, hint)(LOL)
Try Pairing Them With These